Temporomandibular (TM) joint disorders or TMD, refers to disorders of masticatory muscles and/or TM joints. We know you are TMJ experts, but here’s how we can offer expert Physiotherapy to gain even better results for your patients. We’ve prepared todays letter to demystify some of the common questions we receive about physiotherapy and TMD.
What signs would indicate physiotherapy referral?
- Pain in the jaw, temple or ear that is modified with jaw movement, function or habits
- Locking, catching & inability to open or close the jaw
- TMJ noises
- Ocular symptoms modified by jaw movement, function or habits Our physiotherapists have completed advanced training in the differential diagnosis & treatment of TMD, and our special interest in this area means we offer a truly unique service.
What additional services can Total Physiotherapy offer over general physiotherapy?
- Skilled application of validated diagnostic criteria – Schiffman et al 2014
- Accurate diagnosis = targeted patient-specific treatment
- Skilled handling techniques including intraoral joint mobilisation & masticatory muscle releases
- Consideration of cervical spine involvement and proven postural re-education
- Advanced therapist understanding µ patient understanding & ownership of condition
- Exercise prescription for masticatory muscle tightness/ incoordination or TMJ dysfunction
- Regular correspondence with referring specialist especially when oral appliances are indicated.